Monday, March 15, 2010

Latest Purchase

So.....been looking on Craigslist for a used piano for about a month. At first, Andy was very reluctant and understandably so, NONE of us play the piano, so why would we buy one??? I really would like to give our kids the opportunuty to play and Alec has begged us for lessons now for a year or so. Why not a keyboard, then? I cannot find a good, well-respected teacher here who will teach a student who cannot practice on a real piano, thus my search began. I came across this beauty, made in 1909, which makes it not only a beauty...but an antique beauty, even better. I fell in love with it, did my research, found a certified and highly knowledgable piano technician and had it thoroughly inspected inside and out. I was skeptical that it would still be play worthy after 100 years + and so was the tech, but my gut said to check it out in person, so we did. The tech, who was in his late sixties, kept saying how amazed he was at it's condition and said it was obvious it had been extremely well maintained for it's entire lifetime. He said he was confident it could be played another hundred years and that this piano truly was a find. I offered the owner another $600 less on the price, it had already been lowered once, and he agreed! I am so excited about it (can you tell?) and promised mi madre I would post some pictures of it.








This was also a leap of faith as we are still waiting on word about this house, hopefully it will not have to be moved again. It's a great start to our living room, that we have yet to furnish, due to the fact that we don't know if this living room, is in fact, our own. I couldn't pass up the chance and doubt I'll ever regret it!

9 comments:

Mooney said...

Congrats! Upright grands are so unique. I especially love the deep cherry color, and the stool.

Ours is a 1905, and I'm a firm believer in the quality of handbuilt American pianos. You should take lessons with Alec!

Mikelle said...

It's so beautiful!! We ran into the same problem with lessons on a keyboard when we were in Alabama!!

LeAnn said...

It's gorgeous!!! It reminds me of the old upright Chickering we used to have when I was growing up. The sound was so unique.

The piano was in my parents' garage a few years ago (I know, bad place, but it's well loved, so the damage couldn't have gotten much worse). My dad had stepped into my mom's car to pull it back a few feet, so he left the door open and his foot hanging out. He did something wrong and the car JOLTED backward and the door hit the piano. The door hinge was bent so far backward that it wouldn't shut but that piano didn't even have a scratch on it. Solid!!!

Enjoy that piano!

Merrill Family said...

So beautiful! I'm a little jealous. I've wanted an amazing piano for years and I'm getting a hand me down with one key that won't tune, but the price is right... FREE! Love you and can't wait to see it!

jaesi said...

beautiful!
I cant believe you are still in limbo with the house!
It better be yours or else....

My sister in law teaches piano. She is great! But thatd be a drive for you to washington. Im sure you find a great teacher and in no time youll be a concert pianist!

Catherine said...

Good for you, Jenna! That is a great investment, and it will bless your kids' lives. And it's beautiful! Now you can decorate your room around it... I hope you hear about the house soon so you can get started!

Cre8tive Granny said...

Jen, it is beautiful. I can't wait to hear some music in your home. It won't be long till everyone will be playing a tune or two. When I am finished with this reception I will gather all our beginning piano books and mail them to ya. Congrats everybody. Music can really bless our lives and fill our homes with the spirit...

Pattersons said...

what a beauty! i would love to have a piano someday too! yay:)

Mary Ann said...

Beautiful piano. I would say you have a great find too! Our previous bishop and his wife moved to SG about a year ago. If you run into the Taylor's from Puyallup WA(That is where I live) Say hi from the Hill's. She is a piano teacher. I am sure there are many there.
Love your posts!