Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Puppy LOVE

This is our new puppy, that we gave the kids for Christmas...it took almost three weeks, but we finally settled on the name, YANKEE!

Some of the other name options were pretty interesting, to say the least, and everyone had a favorite, on which, they wouldn't budge. For instance, Elisabeth wanted to name him "PEACHES" from the very beginning...there was NO way the boys were going to call him that, they were completely appalled that she would even suggest naming a male, "PEACHES". We had a harder time naming this dog, than any of our four children (of course, there wasn't a nurse holding us hostage at the hospital, either), so we took our sweet time with the name, and hopefully our kids learned what it means to compromise, which apparantly is not a huge strength for our family.

He is a German Shorthaired Pointer, they are used for tracking/ hunting, but they are also bred to be excellent, family dogs. He came from a breeder with four kids, almost exactly our kids ages, so that part has been pretty easy.

His favorite toy is a monkey that Nathan gave him...he is getting really good at playing fetch.






His favorite spot to take a nap is up on the deck in the sun. He will also come up on the deck when he wants someone to come out and play, he comes right up to the dining room window and whimpers until someone pays attention.

Nathan and Annie are the ones who have consistently shown the most interest, they are both really good with him. Alec is great about taking him on walks and Elisabeth is still pretty timid around him, he can just about knock her over in his excitement to see her. Andy has taken on most of the responsibilities involved (baths, training, etc...) which has been nice, as I am not a huge dog person, don't get me wrong, I like dogs, but I am not one of those people that completely adores them. Andy is not a huge dog person either, but has done such a good job with him (he's read all the books and watched the training DVDs) and he has really enjoyed having a dog. We both went into this, a bit unsure, you hear all these horror stories about puppies and all the trouble they can get into...but (fingers crossed) so far, so good!

8 comments:

jaesi said...

Oh man....Paul is going to be soooo jealous when he sees pics of Yankee.
German short hairs are his favorite and his mean wife wouldnt let him spend money for one thus resulting in our mut :)

Valerie said...

The best thing we ever did for our dog was taking him to an obedience class at petsmart when he was a puppy. They are pretty cheap and teach you how to train your dog. Our dog is now 3 1/2 and is the best behaved dog I've ever had.

Grace said...

He is absolutely beautiful!! And I must say I love the name. Very fitting!!

Becky said...

My kids want a dog so much! He is adorable! You guys are so brave.

Catherine said...

I'm with you, Jenna. Not a dog person. I know the day will probably come when the kids beg for a dog, and if it were up to me, it wouldn't happen!

LeAnn said...

He is a very cute little puppy wuppy.

Sometimes when I see a cute puppy I think maybe it wouldn't be so bad to have one... and then I go to a friend's house and find dog poop on the floor under the dining table and then I snap out of it and remember my mantra: "poop, pee, shed, vomit, jump, bark-NO! poop, pee, shed, vomit, jump bark-NO!"

But I know that someday, I'll have to give in to my family's pleading.

Cre8tive Granny said...

I love his name, Yankee. Good job choosing it guys! Can't wait to come see him. I'm sure I will be surprised at how fast he's grown. Kinda like when I see my grandkids...

"Hall" of Fame said...

What a great dog! And your children are adorable Jenna! I suppose I should give Andy some credit too:) How great it is to see what your family has been up to. Welcome back to the west coast(ish). I can't wait to see you again for our girls weekend out!
-Amy