Friday, August 28, 2009

On June 20th Andy and I celebrated two wonderful milestones...

#3 Our 11th Anniversary and
#4 Andy's Graduation from residency training

We were so busy with the move, getting ready for the baptism, coordinating family stuff with lots of visitors, graduation activities, etc...that it wasn't until the afternoon of the 20th that it dawned on either one of us that it was our anniversary...things were THAT crazy. I mean I had known for a long time the night of the official graduation was the same day as our anniversary, we had talked about it several times and all that we would have to celebrate, but we both totally forgot because there was SO much going on! Oh well, at least the forgetfulness was mutual, we just felt really dumb by the time we remembered.


Here we are with Kaalan and Gretchen, (Kaalan and Andy were the two graduating), they are such wonderful friends and always will be considering we all went through it together. Obviously, we are all, VERY HAPPY!!!

Most of the pictures from graduation turned out too dark, but we took lots and had a wonderful time reminiscing the five years of Andy's training. I have to say, I had been to several other graduations and by far enjoyed this one the most, not just for the OBVIOUS reason (it was Andy's turn), but that night I got to hear countless stories and memories that were such a tribute to who Andy is and his outstanding character, it was amazing as his wife. I mean it's not like Andy came home from work and told me all the wonderful things he did and all the people's lives he affected. His fellow residents and attendings were so sincere and obviously hold him in high regard for who he is, what he believes, and how he treats others. I left in awe of the impact for good he had, both on those who he worked with and the people he cared for! It made all of the tough, tough times when he wasn't there seem all completely worth it. His residency was such a hard time in so many ways, for me, for him, for the kids...but we are all so grateful for the whole experience. It's hard to explain, but that night it was like I got to see all that my husband has become these last eleven years, nine of them in schooling for medicine, and I was AMAZED! It feels incredible to get through something that TOUGH and LONG and know it's over and you made it through...we are so GRATEFUL!


Andy with his Dad, I love this picture.


Andy with his wonderful and supportive, Mom and Dad!


The actual "document" that officially means, it is over!!!


He recieved, the coveted, temporal bone dissection award this year and his fellow residents sent in a picture of him and had this bobble-head M.D. made up...ha, ha.


This is from the Department and his attendings (bosses), it's a tradition to recieve one of these beautiful chairs for your office, love it!

4 comments:

LeAnn said...

Congratulations, Andy!

Happy Anniversary, you two!!!

Donetta said...

Yeah, it's finally over and you have a real life.

Catherine said...

Congratulations! What a milestone - you both went through so much the last 9 years. I'm so glad you spent the last five in VA so I could get to know you!

Heather said...

Yea for making it through! It's so nice to hear you say all of the hardships seem worth it in the end. I think I will have to come back to this and remind myself of that in a few years!

We miss you guys and glad life is treating you so well!